Run separate client and server

May 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM
I am currently doing my master's thesis in Computer Science on Verifiable Computation, and am very enthusiastic about Pinocchio, possibly going to attempt applying it in a specific domain.

I noticed in the help manual of the EXE that it is possible to run it in both client and server mode.

I tried opening 2 separate consoles, running these commands:
1. pinocchio-v0.4.exe --qap --dv --file circuit.c.p.arith --input input.txt --output output.txt --mem 4 --server
2. pinocchio-v0.4.exe --qap --dv --file circuit.c.p.arith --input input.txt --output output.txt --mem 4 --client

However, the server hangs after printing 'Waiting for a client...', and the client terminates and prints 'Unable to connect to server!'

How do I manage enabling these two to communicate?

Thank you very much in advance.
Coordinator
May 22, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for your interest in the project! I'm sorry to say, but it looks like some hard-coded IP addresses crept into the code, which is why it wasn't working for you. I just checked in a fix that lets you specify an IP address for the server as an argument for the client. Hopefully that should work better for you. As a disclaimer, the networking code has only been lightly tested, so I can't guarantee good (or correct) performance.

You may also be interested in our Geppetto project, which we should be uploading to Codeplex in the next few days. It features a larger, more robust compiler and some new improvements to the underlying cryptography.

Cheers,
-Bryan
May 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM
Dear Bryan,

Thank you very much for your reply and the update of the code. I am going to run it. I am also looking forward to Geppetto!